Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Things you don’t have !

Scene 1.0

At 10:56 p.m. EDT Armstrong is ready to plant the first human foot on another world. With more than half a billion people watching on television, he climbs down the ladder and proclaims:

"That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (› Play Audio)

- One Giant Leap For Mankind | NASA



---

This was on the news on 20th July 2015 for whole day. Social media, Newspapers, Internet, Blogs (and now here !) and TV all were rolling the reels.

It’s been 40 years.

It was 20th July 1969.



---

I always wanted to Quote this: somehow, somewhere. It is like a long awaited wish has been granted.

Hmmm !!

Now I suddenly feel sad, excited and intrigued to see how this post will come out.

Anyway, let’s see what I have in the mind.

I have been going through articles on this historic day. I was able to get few things to make a post out of it. Never thought, it will be this topic.

I am kind of having a momentary personality disorder, I suppose !!

Let’s see the,

FACTS :

  • “ The computer on the moon lander was of 64 Kb and operated at 0.043MHz. ”

Well, my first phone was Nokia 6600, device with 3.6Mb of memory and 104MHz processor speed and I had installed a media card on it, though I never got a call from NASA to build any Lander till date.

And the worst thing is that… I am an engineer, too !

Damn !! Missed by an inch :)

  • “ Even today, the computers on ISS are powered mainly by Intel 386, a Processor which made it’s last  ramp walk during 1985. ”

My brother uses a Dell Vostro with i3 processor, twice a month, just to update his iPhone.

This is strange !

He didn’t got a call from NASA. 

He’s also an Engineer !

Damn !! Missed by an inch, again :)

  • “ An IBM System/360 model 75 had been loaded with a software written to monitor astronaut’s bio medical data and spacecraft’s environment. It was of 6 MB, only. ”

My WhatsApp source is of 11 MB. And I use it just to watch some funny videos shared in groups I’m enrolled.

Nope ! Still didn’t get any call !

Damn ! Why the hell I am missing all the things :(

---

The people who worked for the moon mission during 60s at NASA never knew there will be something called a Tesla car. If we take a count, they were like kindergarteners compared to PhDs, today. The technological gap was huge.

Come on I mean, just a 6 MB software? My friends transfer voice messages of 9 MB just to confirm what movie to go this weekend.

Lame ! I am really thinking whether this is the reason NASA never call me or what. :p

The point that I found surprising that, Niel, Michel and Buzz were able to roll out the entire mission with this sort of technology.

That era was the miraculous one. Gordon E. Moore in 1965 said the Moore’s law for ICs.

Two events, narrating the world which probably more complicated and less technocratic, or may be other way around.

---


I had a chance during last year to visit a Health program, run by a famous local Hospital. Being a student of anthropology, I got the entry directly approved by the then program director of that Hospital.

Surprisingly, HP and L&T India had sponsored the technology for the program. It was a Rotavirus vaccination trial unit with well-equipped hospital to handle even a minuscule surgery.

People around the village been taught to operate few instruments and trained to help the onsite doctors. They are not even a high school pass out but they know how to measure Diabetes and assist Pregnancy operations.

It’s been only 40 years and technology that Apollo 11 was not having at that time, is now with the villagers in India. This shows the adaptability of Human nature for technology. We have been surviving for past two hundreds thousands years may be because of this. Technology has served well, very well in fact till now.

…but !

A big BUT


What becomes of you if just for a day you lose your mobile?

Ummm ! I am kind of broke without it.

Seriously !

My work calls, updates, network referrals, task talks or even payment notifications will take a halt with it for one whole day. I’ll skip my food even… :(

Gosh ! This is frightening. Even more than, Batman v Superman trailer.

My worldly transactions and connections are met with this single device. And I can’t afford to get it taking a halt, not even for a single hour and I’m sure most of you would agree with me.

---


Now, let take a wakeup call here.

I have put three cases,


B) HP and L&T India supporting villagers

C) Batman v Superman paradox for my cell (dibs on Batman !)

---


If you want to understand today’s post, you will have to take a deep sneak peek to contemporary human life needs.

We are social connected, but like a bug in the spider’s web. Can’t move or drop out or be free or take a deep breathe, even.

I am writing this post surrounded by four electronic media devices. This is not bad. This is good. This is the gift of last 40 years. And I am really enjoying it. Those villager who are part of HP and L&T India program, are also enjoying it.

Technology has definitely helped us. Connected us. Made life more simple and interesting. In the example of spider’s web, it is on Bug’s discernment as to what limit, get into the web’s depth, with what sort of muscle strength.

I write this blog to make the life simpler. But that can never happen by going back to the Stone Age.

Never, I say.

This does not mean that the bug should go with the lean muscles to the web, else there will not be anything left to connect right after Spidy’s breakfast.

There are contradictions.


The best psychologist is one, who can build contradictions, if there aren’t any, just to make a point clear.


Well, following two are there already, saving my much of the time.
  • Have a technology
  • Use a technology

One side of the contradiction is, you get technology. And the other is, you must know when.

  • First is web, second is the bug’s muscle power
  • First is what you can have, second is what you should
  • First is choice, second is the understanding of choices
  • First is opportunity, second is utility
  • First is ability, second is responsibility
  • First is action, second is the reaction
  • First is availability, second is capability
  • First is assumed life, second is provable transcendence

Enough !

---

(…watch the Batman v Superman trailer and listen to the original of this dialogue…)


“…the world has been so caught up with what It can do, that no one had asked what It should do…”


This is what I exactly want you all to understand.

In my last post, The fights we Lead !, I tried to make a point how easily we get misguided with the power of Exaggeration and Attraction for anything and making life a race to collect exaggerated things. Stocking a pile of them.

This seems to be absolutely in resonance with this post’s findings also.

We are motivated and encouraged to stock. (May be by some inner psychological needs, let’s find out them in next post)

YES !

To Stock.

Just like the stockist, who stock for the products.

We spend hours together standing in line just to buy a phone; whose 65% functions will remain unused even after banging it for 16 to 17 hours a day.

Frankly, just tell me, when did you use the stopwatch of your cell phone? When did you use the inbuilt currency converter last time? How many applications are there in your cell that you don’t use daily? Just check the last opened in history. I have 11 out of 29.

I just found that I have been on blogspot.com, since 2007, but never thought to write till last few months.  :D

We are excellent stockist. Be it Gold, Silver, Shares, Money or Things.

The silver line between what we have and what we actually need, is very very thin. For some people, may be it isn’t there at all, i.e my mother: The super stockist.


---


 The findings are,

  • We are stockiest. We store; memory, feelings, pain, money and things, matters and motives and the technology, too. We just store too much than needed
  • We don’t know how to utilize. We just know consumption. (cell phone example)
  • Technology is there to make life simple, like it did for those villagers
  • We should learn to make simpler choices for technology
  • Life went on and will go on even if you have only needed technology (like, Apollo 11 )

---


With this, I’ll plan for next post.

Read the FACTS again.

Those people reached to the moon with much basic technology than even today’s preschools got; which BTW have started to use animated videos making children understand how the Apple looks like.

Finishing with last quote,



We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.




---


This post has taken its data and facts references from,



---


No comments:

Post a Comment